How To Make Your Own E-Liquid
Electronic Cigarette Liquid is just water, Propylene Glycol (PG) or Vegetable Glycerin (VG), flavorings and some percentage of pure nicotine or some other optional additives. You can make yourself your own E-Liquid easily with our E-Liq Materials to save your money and to have your own unique flavor.
Propylene Glycol (PG) or Vegetable Glycerin (VG) are commonly used organic compound that are recognized as generally safe by the Food and Drug Administration. They are used in food coloring, and flavoring, as an additive to keep food, medicines and cosmetics moist, and in machines that simulate smoke as well as an ingredient in toothpaste and mouthwash. In E-Cig, Propylene Glycol (PG) or Vegetable Glycerin (VG) function to provide the vapor mist that looks like smoke and to suspend flavor.
Somebody may be allergic to Propylene Glycol (PG). In this case, it is better to use Vegetable Glycerin (VG).
For making your own electronic cigarette liquid, what you need are the followings:
- Propylene Glycol or Vegetable Glycerin: You need to have FOOD GRADE Propylene Glycol (PG) or Vegetable Glycerin (VG) as we provide here. The Propylene Glycol and Vegetable Glycerin are the ingredients that creates the visible smoke/fog. In fact, this is the ingredient in smoke machine fluid that creates the smoke/fog.
- Distilled Water: Filtered drinkable water is OK. Other water, such as tap water has too many chemicals to make it healthy to vaporize into your lungs.
- Flavorings: You need to have high temperature resistance and water soluble flavorings as we provide here. Other flavorings which have only room temperature resistance and contains either oil or sugars may not be suitable for smoking in a personal vaporizer.
- Optional additives: such as herbs, tobacco or whatever additives for tobacco and herbal recipes.
The E-Liquid composition may be variable with these base ingredient PG or VG and with the E-Liquid Flavorings. Normally you can put in the following compositions for zero nicotine E-Liquid as an example:
- 15% Water
- 15% Flavoring
- 70% Vegetable Glycerin or Propylene Glycol.
You can also add some nicotine:
- 10% Water
- 10% Flavoring
- 20% 24mg Commercial Nicotine Liquid
- 60% Vegetable Glycerin or Propylene Glycol
For thicker smoke, use less water. While you are using E-Cig in higher temperarue environment or hot season, use less water. If making a solution with additives, then leave out the water and use either a few drops of additive solution or more depending on strength and taste. You will have to experiment!
IMPORTANT NOTE: If you are making a nicotine based liquid, there are some things you need to keep in mind. Nicotine is a poison. Too much can be very toxic. Nicotine is an alkaloid found in certain plants, predominantly tobacco, and in much lower quantities in tomatoes, potatoes, eggplant and green peppers. When absorbed in small amounts, whether from cigarettes, cigars or E-Cig, nicotine can cause stimulation, a feeling of relaxation, calmness, and alertness. The effects of nicotine can last from minutes to hours. The carcinogenic properties of nicotine in a standalone form (i.e., separated from smoking or chewing tobacco) have not been evaluated by the International Agency for Research on Cancer, However current available literature indicates that nicotine in standalone form does not promote the development of cancer in healthy tissue and has no mutagenic properties.
This is a list of commonly used substances in E-Liquid. Depending on the recipe, not all of them are used.
- E-CIG Propylene Glycol
- Vegetable Glycerin
- Tobacco essence
- Organic acid
- Anti-oxidation agent
- Butyl valerate
- Isopentyl hexonate
- Lauryl laurate
- Benzyl benzoate
- Methyl octynicate
- Ethyl heptylate
- Hexyl hexanoate
- Geranyl butyrate
- Citric acid
HAVE FUN WHILE MAKING YOUR OWN E-LIQUID!